- The process of treating data such that it cannot be used for the
identification of individuals.
- See Anonymisation.
- See Application Programming Interface.
- Application Programming Interface
- A way computer programmes talk to one another. Can be understood
in terms of how a programmer sends instructions between programmes.
- Attribution Licence
- A licence that requires attributing the original source
of the licensed material.
- Attribution License
- See Attribution Licence.
- BitTorrent is a protocol for distributing the bandwith for
transferring very large files between the computers which are
participating in the transfer. Rather than downloading a file
from a specific source, BitTorrent allows peers to download
from each other.
- Comma Separated Variables. A very simple, open format for tabular data
which can be exported and imported by all spreadsheet applications and is
easily manipulable with command line tools.
- http://curl.haxx.se/ - a command line tool for transferring data to and
from online systems over standard internet protocols including FTP and
HTTP. Very powerful and great for working with Web API s from the
- See Data Access Protocol.
- Data Access Protocol
- A system that allows outsiders to be granted access to databases
without overloading either system.
- A piece of software for collaborative real-time editing of text. See
- Intellectual property rights
- Monopolies granted to individuals for intellectual creations.
- IP rights
- See Intellectual property rights.
- Formats that are machine readable are ones which are
able to have their data extracted by computer programs easily. PDF
documents are not machine readable. Computers can display the text
nicely, but have great difficulty understanding the context that
surrounds the text.
- Open Data
- Open data is data that can be used, reused and
redistributed freely by anyone for any purpose. More
details can be found at at opendefinition.org.
- Open standards
- Generally understood as technical standards which are free from
licencing restrictions. Can also be interpreted to mean standards
which are developed in a vendor-neutral manner.
- Public domain
- No copyright exists over the work. Does not exist in all
- Share-alike Licence
- A licence that requires users of a work to provide the content
under the same or similar conditions as the original.
- Share-alike License
- See Share-alike Licence.
- Tab-seperated values
- Tab-seperated values (TSV) are a very common form of text file
format for sharing tabular data. The format is extremely simple
and highly machine-readable.
- Web API
- An API that is designed to work over the Internet.